Book Recommendations

I recently finished Crucial Conversations: Talking when the Stakes are High, which is all about how to navigate an important conversation when emotions are involved and opinions vary a lot. This book was very insightful, and I feel more prepared to have an effective conversation when it matters most. I also read Elizabeth Kostova’s The Swan Thieves, a story about an extremely talented painter who struggles with psychological issues, causing him to attempt destroying a painting in an art museum.

1 Like

Today I started In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson. I came across it at a local library book sale and thought it looked interesting.

Recently I finished Against the Gods: A remarkable Story of Risk by Peter Bernstein and Madness Visible by Janine Di Giovanni.

I prefer reading non-fication. Robert Kaplan is probably my favorite author. As far as fiction, I really liked East of Eden, The Stranger and The Count of Monte Cristo.

Seconding East of Eden. One of my favorites.

2 Likes

Love love LOVE Where The Crawdads Sing!!! Absolutely brilliant!

Also, I thought City of Girls was a fabulous read too. Has anyone read it?

Recommendations by genre:

• Sci-Fi: The Moon is a Harsh Mistress | Robert A Heinlein
• Fiction: The Alchemist | Paulo Coelho
• Non-Fiction: The Power of Habit | Charles Duhigg

I absolutely loved that book! I couldn’t put it down.

Count of Monte Cristo, I have never read it but did see the movie. I would love to see how the two compare. Thanks.

I was just introduced to an interesting read by a colleague of mine when she saw me reading Educated ( this months read). My Time Among the Whites, by Jeannine Capó Crucet. I took the liberty of reading a few pages and it captivated me from the beginning. I only read a few, but it resonated with me and my heritage. I would recommend it as a read to bring you back to your roots or to learn life from another’s point of view.

I really enjoyed that book very intelligent good reading. Of course, the tidbits about her relationship with Obama were the best.

2 Likes

Just finished Ronan Farrow’s Catch & Kill in all of 2 days, hard to put down! And recently Tea Obreht’s Inland…she’s wildly talented

Recommending anything by Elena Ferrante, Amor Towles or Donna Tartt (Secret History is a favorite)

I absolutely loved that book, Rachel!

The Neapolitan series (My Brillient Friend) by Elena Ferrante was incredible! One of my favorites.

1 Like

Absolutely loved Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman!

1 Like

Right now, I am reading Wabi Sabi by Beth Kempton. It has a beautful flavor, and is a joy to read. Also, I love Marie Kondo! Finishing up A Complaint Free World by Will Bowen, for the second time (revised edition).

A man called Ove. Excellent book. Reminded me of my father and then forced me to look closer at him and his ways.

I’m reading Catch and Kill right now as well and I love it. Also reading She Said which is very interesting.

I love Ken Follett’s Kingsbridge series and Century series. They are big books, but well worth it if you like historical fiction.

I just read that! I enjoyed it as well; loved Ove and the neighbors that became his family!

Did you prefer one over the other? I haven’t read She Said yet…

I just finished She Said and am only partly through Catch and Kill. I think I will like Catch and Kill better since it’s written more like a novel than nonfiction. She Said was good though. Worth a read. It was mostly about Weinstein then a little about Kavanagh.