Book Recommendations

I was just introduced to an interesting read by a colleague of mine when she saw me reading Educated ( this months read). My Time Among the Whites, by Jeannine Capó Crucet. I took the liberty of reading a few pages and it captivated me from the beginning. I only read a few, but it resonated with me and my heritage. I would recommend it as a read to bring you back to your roots or to learn life from another’s point of view.

I really enjoyed that book very intelligent good reading. Of course, the tidbits about her relationship with Obama were the best.

2 Likes

Just finished Ronan Farrow’s Catch & Kill in all of 2 days, hard to put down! And recently Tea Obreht’s Inland…she’s wildly talented

Recommending anything by Elena Ferrante, Amor Towles or Donna Tartt (Secret History is a favorite)

I absolutely loved that book, Rachel!

The Neapolitan series (My Brillient Friend) by Elena Ferrante was incredible! One of my favorites.

1 Like

Absolutely loved Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman!

2 Likes

Right now, I am reading Wabi Sabi by Beth Kempton. It has a beautful flavor, and is a joy to read. Also, I love Marie Kondo! Finishing up A Complaint Free World by Will Bowen, for the second time (revised edition).

A man called Ove. Excellent book. Reminded me of my father and then forced me to look closer at him and his ways.

I’m reading Catch and Kill right now as well and I love it. Also reading She Said which is very interesting.

I love Ken Follett’s Kingsbridge series and Century series. They are big books, but well worth it if you like historical fiction.

I just read that! I enjoyed it as well; loved Ove and the neighbors that became his family!

Did you prefer one over the other? I haven’t read She Said yet…

I just finished She Said and am only partly through Catch and Kill. I think I will like Catch and Kill better since it’s written more like a novel than nonfiction. She Said was good though. Worth a read. It was mostly about Weinstein then a little about Kavanagh.

If you’re interested in thrillers/mysteries, I highly recommend The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson. Gripping read, many twists! Just finished reading the sequel, about to go purchase the third.

2 Likes

Two of my all time favorites are A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini and The Bluest eye by Toni Morrison. Both are fairly easy reads. Disclaimer: both books discuss/describe situations that may be triggering for some readers. Before you consider reading I would recommend researching some of the themes in the books.

Currently on book 4 of the Outlander series. They are very long books but very easy to read. I also started binge watching the series on Starz.

1 Like

Amor Towles is a favorite of mine too!
I recently finished the Goldfinch, which I think should have been made into a mini-series instead of a movie. The book is so in depth.

I just recently got around to watching The Goldfinch movie, it was slow but I appreciated them breaking up the timeline as that whole Vegas section depressed me when reading as much as I love the book as a whole…agree with you on that one. It was perfectly cast though.

The My Brilliant Friend series just finished the 2nd season on HBO too – so beautiful and true to the books if you are interested I highly recommend both reading & watching!

Hi all,
During this pandemic, I was introduced to the author Fredrik Backman and read in succession three of his books. BearTown seems to be a perfect book for a book club. It is deep, insightful, and timely. Just want to bring it to the forum.

Excellent book! Just finished reading three of Fredric Backman’s books. The other two are likewise interesting. Beartown is also worthy of a book discussion.